I actually got to leave the house last night after spending two days spring cleaning, and as I checked in I was pleasantly surprised to see foursquare 3.0’s revamped specials listing includes an expanded radius! The specials weren’t limited to a one or two blocks — specials as far away as 4 miles were listed. Even better: There were more listings! At one check-in, I had 19 specials pop up.
It seems more area businesses are taking advantage of the foursquare Merchant Platform — and they’re getting more creative with the offers. A nearby auto repair shop was offering a Check-In Special for foursquare check-ins that are linked to Facebook. (Way to expand your reach, folks.) RadioShack is offering a Newbie Special (20% off for first-time check-ins), as well as a Check-in Special that promotes a Mayor’s Special. (The improved analytics will tell them if this two-pronged approach works.)
Among the new deals spotted on foursquare in the Fairfax, Va., area:
- Dunkin’ Donuts on Braddock Road has a Loyalty Special just for foursquare users. Free medium iced or hot coffee for every 10th check-in.
- Tropical Smoothie Cafe on Chain Bridge Road (near Hunter Mill Road) has a Check-In Special with a 10% discount.
- Brown’s Fairfax Mazda (where I bought my awesome Mazda3 last year) is offering 10% off in their service department for first-time check-ins.
- Let’s Dish on Lee Highway is offering newbies a free block of scones.
- Patriot Harley Davidson on Fairfax Boulevard has a free gift for the mayor.
- The Happy Woof on Willard Way near University Drive has a Loyalty Special that seems more like a Check-In or Newbie Special: 10% off for just one check-in.
ABOUT THIS SERIES: As a marketing student interested in social media’s role in promotion, I record specials that I see when I check in on foursquare. For me, it’s fun to see how businesses are using it to court customers, which merchants are catching on — and which ones aren’t. This project is mostly to satisfy my intellectual curiosity, so stoppers-by might be bored. Googlers, if you’re looking for information about MAC’s Wonder Woman cosmetic line and foursquare offer, here’s the post.