ED’S NOTE: This post reflects my interest as a marketing student in advertising, search-engine optimization, and viral marketing. No agencies or products are endorsed. The opinions expressed here are mine and in no way reflect the opinions of my employers.
Leave it to American advertisers to resurrect from the dead one the most mocked viral videos ever and turn it into an equally irritating Black Friday commercial — because that day isn’t maddening enough.
At the urging of someone who shall remain anonymous, I am doing a post about Rebecca Black’s Friday song turned into Black Friday for Kohl’s Department store.
This is it. This is all I’m doing.
~ Anonymous J’s Pages reader
Yes, yes, it is. Infectious like the chicken pox — or herpes.
At the time of this writing, this nearly insufferable clip on YouTube had 41,535 views, 486 likes, and 576 dislikes.
Go Team Dislike!
RELATED: Rebecca Black’s official Friday video.
In light of foursquare’s recent announcement detailing their 3400% growth in 2010 (also known as the Year of Suckage), I’ve decided to record the deals I see as I check in.
This is mostly to satisfy my intellectual curiosity as a marketing student, so stoppers-by might be bored. Googlers, if you’re looking for information about MAC’s Wonder Woman cosmetic line, here it is.
Among this weekend’s deals spotted on foursquare:
- Buy one scoop, get one scoop free at Ben & Jerry’s.
- 15% off next purchase at Aerie, American Eagle’s panty and bra shop.
- Valentine’s Day Sale at Express: suit separates for her, BOGO 50% off; shirts and ties, BOGO $19.90. PLUS 30% off sweaters for him.
- Get $10 off jeans $39.95 and up at H&M. Offer valid Feb. 10-21. Discount taken at register.
- First-time check-ins can get $5 off any $25 purchase at Payless ShoeSource.
I’ll update the list as I see more offers.
ED’S NOTE: This URL has been SEO’d to death.
Hot right now
- Photo: Orono, Maine. 2013. #signs #hair #marketing #travel tmblr.co/ZZYv6wlEEICV~ 18 hours ago
- Merci! #ff @franster23 @CaylaMichelleC @SwiftSwords73 @BobbiLurie @Paul_Conrad @tayari @bob_ham @ourhonordefend @willie_t_smith @page88~ 22 hours ago
- Photo: Bangor airport. 2013. The beautiful skylight sculptures are deceptively simple, constructed of... tmblr.co/ZZYv6wlCojbH~ 1 day ago
- @MichelleCMariea Thanks so much, Michelle! It was most excellent! (I tried to reply yesterday, but I lost connectivity.)~ 1 day ago
- Photo: Digital casualty. Portland, Maine. 2013. tmblr.co/ZZYv6wlBQam0~ 1 day ago
- Photo: Be beautiful wherever you are. (at UMaine Museum of Art) tmblr.co/ZZYv6wl9F6K2~ 1 day ago
- Be beautiful wherever you are. @ UMaine Museum of Art instagram.com/p/ZZR4WNILLJ/~ 1 day ago
- @Turntablez Thanks, pal! :)~ 2 days ago
- Happy birthday to me! (@ Sea Dog Brewing) on #Yelp yelp.com/biz/sea-dog-br…~ 2 days ago
- Acadia. Blue Hill overlook. vine.co/v/bEhQTBm93V9~ 3 days ago
No, really, who’s J?
Editor. Writer. Consultant.
I'm an editor and writer with certifications in public relations and e-Commerce. I also have a background in information technology. (In another life, I was a systems analyst.)
When I'm not editing copy for USA TODAY, I write an occasional short story or poem. My work has appeared in Calliope and the feminist journal So to Speak, and I'm a regular flash-fiction contributor to Paragraph Planet and Doorknobs & Bodypaint. Also on occasion, I interview editors for The Review Review, a comprehensive guide to literary journals and the people who produce them.
My points-of-view are collected on such esteemed outlets as Wordpress, Facebook and Twitter. The views expressed here and elsewhere are mine, not my employers'.
I live in the suburbs of Washington, D.C., with my husband, Trey, our Shetland Sheepdog, and two unhelpful-but-funny cats.