‘Class’ on Paragraph Planet
More with the shameless self-promotion! This is me marketing my small works!
I’m happy to say my short “Class” is featured today on Paragraph Planet, a creative writing website that features 75-word pieces on one topic. If you’re a writer, please give it a go. There’s something so satisfying about writing just 75 of just-right words. If you’re a reader, click and click daily. There are some real gems there, and they make for a nice breather between phone calls, a shared human moment before another deadline. Writers may also write a sequel to the posted paragraphs using their own 75 words.
My piece that is featured today was inspired by a quartet of smokers sharing cigs one day after class. Ted Hughes and his crow make a cameo appearance. Check it out while you can. The pieces change daily.
UPDATE: This is the piece that appeared Nov. 22.
Class. Oh, it had been so very good. An odd quartet agreed as they shared their smokes, happily disagreeing on today’s quality of tobacco. Was it North Carolina’s? Virginia’s? Did it matter anymore? Wasn’t soil just the devil’s dirt? Had Hughes’ crow taught us nothing about death and dying today? Eager white teeth bit into a moist stem, not quite a ripe woman’s thigh. Class had been good, even Red had agreed. And so did I.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Hot right now
- Photo: Orono, Maine. 2013. #signs #hair #marketing #travel tmblr.co/ZZYv6wlEEICV~ 1 day ago
- Merci! #ff @franster23 @CaylaMichelleC @SwiftSwords73 @BobbiLurie @Paul_Conrad @tayari @bob_ham @ourhonordefend @willie_t_smith @page88~ 1 day ago
- Photo: Bangor airport. 2013. The beautiful skylight sculptures are deceptively simple, constructed of... tmblr.co/ZZYv6wlCojbH~ 1 day ago
- @MichelleCMariea Thanks so much, Michelle! It was most excellent! (I tried to reply yesterday, but I lost connectivity.)~ 1 day ago
- Photo: Digital casualty. Portland, Maine. 2013. tmblr.co/ZZYv6wlBQam0~ 1 day ago
- Photo: Be beautiful wherever you are. (at UMaine Museum of Art) tmblr.co/ZZYv6wl9F6K2~ 2 days ago
- Be beautiful wherever you are. @ UMaine Museum of Art instagram.com/p/ZZR4WNILLJ/~ 2 days ago
- @Turntablez Thanks, pal! :)~ 2 days ago
- Happy birthday to me! (@ Sea Dog Brewing) on #Yelp yelp.com/biz/sea-dog-br…~ 2 days ago
- Acadia. Blue Hill overlook. vine.co/v/bEhQTBm93V9~ 3 days ago
No, really, who’s J?
Editor. Writer. Consultant.
I'm an editor and writer with certifications in public relations and e-Commerce. I also have a background in information technology. (In another life, I was a systems analyst.)
When I'm not editing copy for USA TODAY, I write an occasional short story or poem. My work has appeared in Calliope and the feminist journal So to Speak, and I'm a regular flash-fiction contributor to Paragraph Planet and Doorknobs & Bodypaint. Also on occasion, I interview editors for The Review Review, a comprehensive guide to literary journals and the people who produce them.
My points-of-view are collected on such esteemed outlets as Wordpress, Facebook and Twitter. The views expressed here and elsewhere are mine, not my employers'.
I live in the suburbs of Washington, D.C., with my husband, Trey, our Shetland Sheepdog, and two unhelpful-but-funny cats.